Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mexican Chicken Casserole

Despite it's name, I would never think of this as a casserole. What I would think of it as is a delishy dinner that I want to make once a week. I got the recipe from this blog, and we were more than happy with how it turned out! When finding new recipes on other blogs, I almost always always make a change or two to fit our taste buds. I encourage you to do the same!
I also stole this picture from that same blog because mine just didn't do it justice!

What you'll need:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bite-sized pieces
1-2 tsp. cumin (I used 2. The taste is delishy!)
1/4 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1-1/2 cups salsa
1/2 pkg of cream cheese
2 tomatoes, chopped
shredded cheese
avocado
cilantro
sour cream

In a Pammed frying pan, cook chicken, onion, and cumin until chicken is white throughout. Next, add peppers and saute for about 2 minutes. Then, add the salsa and cook for two minutes. After that, add the cream cheese and cook for...yep! 2 minutes. Add the black beans and tomato, stir together, and serve. You can do this in a tortilla with cheese sour cream, cilantro, and avocado (that's what we do), or you can eat it over rice. It is also yummo just to use as a chip dip. Either way, you will love it. It is one of our new faves!

*The original recipe has you transfer it to an 8X8 baking dish, top with cheese, and cook at 350* for 15 minutes. But we thought it made the cheese too greasy and mushy, so I don't see any reason to bake it. Just keep it on the stove long enough for the beans and tomatoes to heat up, and you're ready to go!

No comments: