Wednesday, April 18, 2012

creamy tomato basil soup

we are just slightly in love with the harry's organic creamy tomato basil soup you buy at costco. yesterday, because of all the rain, i was craving some. but we didn't have any, and i didn't want to go to costco. so my next step was google. obviously. i found a recipe on the taste of homes website, and oh my. it was amazing! my husband reheated some late last night and decided that it is just as good as the kind we buy at costco. success! this coupled with a grilled cheese was perfect.

i modified the recipe so that i could use what i had on hand, and it worked great!
 

2 garlic cloves, minced OR 1 teaspoon crushed garlic (i buy it in a jar)
1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
1.5 teaspoon chicken boulion granules*
2-1/3 cups water*
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup milk*
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons sugar
    in a large saucepan, saute garlic in oil until hot. add the tomatoes, chicken boullion, water and pepper. bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

    stir in the milk, basil, and sugar. cook for 1 minute or until heated through.
     
    *you could reduce the water by 1 cup, eliminate the boullion, and use canned chicken broth. 
    *the recipe called for heavy whipping cream, but i used milk. it was a little runny, so i think using cream would thicken it up

      4 comments:

      Unknown said...

      THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR THIS RECIPE! I can't wait to try it! I have never had the Costco stuff, but I have been craving the Zupas Tomato Basil Soup! Thanks again!

      Harmony said...

      Thanks Mindy! My husband had the Costco version of this at a youth etiquette dinner at church a few weeks ago and couldn't believe it wasn't homemade. Now I can give him homemade!

      Keeping up with the Joneses said...

      This was delicious! Thanks! I put the tomatoes into a blender before I added them to the rest which I think helped to thicken it up!

      Rosie said...

      I've made this soup a couple of times now, I love how the ingredients are staples and can turn into dinner without planning. Thanks a lot. It is so yummy, just like the Costco samples.