Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

Don't you just love when a recipe has 'easy' in the title?! Me too! After some serious hounding from this Howe sissie, I am FINALLY getting this recipe posted. And you are just gonna love it!


Image found here

When I first found this recipe I tried it and loved it, but then I went ahead and made adjustments so that it was more to my fam's liking. And by fam I mean my Mr. He is, after all, my biggest foodie and if he says it's not great then I don't make it again. So I am giving it to you how I make it now. Got it? Good.


Here's what you need:

4 T. margarine
4 T. flour
2 c. milk
2 c. chicken broth
2 1/2 c. cooked chicken, cubed
(Just a note here: I am seriously lazy some days and I just want to get dinner in the oven! If this is the case, then I grab a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and chop it up. I really do love the flavor they have and it makes me happy when I get to take a shortcut!)
12 oz. frozen peas
1 1/2 c. carrots, diced
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced.
3 stalks celery, diced (totally optional if you're a celery hater!)
salt and pepper to taste
1 can refrigerator biscuits (I use the Grand's flaky ones)


Heat your oven to the directions on the biscuit package. Chop potatoes, celery, and carrots and put them in a saucepan. Cover with water and boil until they are almost tender. In the meantime make a roux. What's a roux?! Ok hang on. So you melt the marg and then whisk in the flour. It should come together in a ball. Cook for just a few seconds to get rid of the flour taste. Slowly whisk in the milk and broth and just keep in stirring until it starts to get thick. Congrats! You just made a roux! You should be so proud right now. So when it's getting thick and your veggies are about done, drain the veggies and add them to the sauce along with the chicken, peas, and some salt & pepper. Bring it to a good boil then pour it into a covered casserole dish or pan and put it in the oven. After a few minutes (10-15ish) it should start to bubble all over the surface. (It needs to be this way to keep the biscuits from being soggy.) Once it's doing this, pull it out and place the biscuits all over the surface. Be quick! Re-cover and continue baking according to the biscuit package directions. When it's done the biscuits should be golden brown. Just scoop it up and serve. Oh my goodness it's so good! Try it tonight and let me know what you think.


--Nicki






8 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

This is an amazing recipe!
And yes, I'm drawn to recipes that have "easy" in the title!
:)

Anonymous said...

Seems like it's seriously lacking in spices...

Aleis said...

This is one of my absolute favorite things to make, although I admit I usually bake the biscuits separately because I don't like the sogginess on the bottom. If you want a little more flavor, saute some shallots in the butter before adding the flour and add some dried thyme or tarragon. I also like to add a little splash of white wine after it has thickened from the milk and broth.

amber said...

Love it (my husband is a huge chicken pot pie fan, but I hate making pie crust)!!! Here's what I did... I had crockpot chicken (with potatoes and carrots) one night. Had leftovers and wonderful broth (that I didn't want to waste), so I froze it, with this recipe in mind. I added celery to my broth, carrots, potatoes and chicken, once it thawed (took it out in a.m. and was ready for evening meal), I put it on the stove and thickened it (flour/water mixture). Once it was to my desired consistency, I kept going on this recipe for the oven steps. Hope that made sense!! Thank you for a great (and easy) recipe.

N8sGr8s said...

Made it tonight! It was great. Thanks.

Unknown said...

I'm newly married and trying to learn how to cook, I am failing at the raux. please help. it's just not getting thick.

Unknown said...

I added in some french fried onions and some shredded cheddar cheese ,sprinkled in some everglades seasoning, was delish!!

Unknown said...

I added in some french fried onions and some shredded cheddar cheese ,sprinkled in some everglades seasoning, was delish!!