Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spinach Lasagna

This recipe comes from my cute friend, Melissa. Normally I would turn my nose up to a healthier version of lasagna, but after reading through the recipe a few times, I decided it might be worth it. And oh. my! Let me tell you...it was more than worth it. Now how healthy it actually is, I don't know. But spinach instead of ground beef at least sounds healthier, right?? Also, I've always kind of shied away from making lasagna because it seems like a daunting meal. While making this I quickly realized that it is actually very quick and easy. And you know that we all love that!


image found here

Here's what you need:

12 cooked lasagna noodles (Just cook them according to box directions)
16 oz. cottage cheese
2 c. spinach leaves (shredded)
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 3-4 cloves minced fresh garlic
salt and pepper to taste
Spaghetti sauce. Use our favorite recipe from here OR 1 jar or can of spaghetti sauce
2 c. mozzarella cheese. (I actually only had about 1/2 cup so I used some cheddar. Worked fine!)

Combine spinach, cottage cheese, eggs, garlic and salt and pepper

Layer as follows:
1/2-3/4 C spaghetti sauce
4 noodles
1/2 spinach mixture
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
1/2-3/4 C spaghetti sauce
4 noodles
The other half of the spinach mixture
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
1/2-3/4 C spaghetti sauce
4 noodles
remaining spaghetti sauce
remaining mozzarella cheese

Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes

1 comment:

kara said...

This has been on our rotation since you posted it. But today was the first day I used 'no boil' lasagna noodles. Life changing! This could NOT be an easier and more delicious lasagna recipe. I think next time I'm going to get real crazy and add shredded carrots and zucchini. Love this.