Thursday, January 13, 2011

Alfredo Sauce

I have always used the same alfredo recipe that I found a few years ago in a small-town cookbook. A month or so ago, I was making the recipe and discovered I didn't have any shredded parmesan cheese. Because I was already half way through making the sauce, I didn't want to waste any ingredients. So I improvised! And, surprisingly enough, the recipe turned out better than the one I originally made! This is the only thing I have ever come close to inventing, so I thought I'd better share :)
Ingredients
1/2 C. butter
2 C. heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 C. grated parmesan
2-3 oz. cream cheese (cut into small chunks)

In a sauce pan, melt butter. Add cream, garlic powder, and pepper. Boil for 2 minutes. Add parmesan and cream cheese and boil until cream cheese melts (usually 3-4 minutes). Once the cream cheese is melted, it thickens up a little bit. However, I like my alfredo pretty thick, so I turn it on low and let it simmer for a few minutes; this usually helps it thicken pretty quickly.

Serve over your favorite pasta. Add grilled chicken or shrimp if you so desire!

Yum!


No comments: