Friday, November 26, 2010

Coconut Cream Pie

This was my first attempt at a homemade pie that didn't need a graham cracker crust and/or require the use of Cool Whip!  I got this recipe from my friend Marnie's mom, Carla.  Whenever she makes pie and invites us over (or brings it to Marnie's) I just can't get enough!  So when I was asked to make a pie for Thanksgiving dinner with Matt's parents, and since I hate pumpkin pie, I decided to give this a whirl.  As Mindy said, "This pie is to die for!"
Coconut Cream Pie Filling

In a 3 qt. sauce pan combine and stir:
5 Tbs. corn starch
1 C. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Add: 2 1/2 C. milk
3/4 C. half & half
*Cook over medium heat until smooth and thick--stirring constantly.
Whisk together:
3 egg yolks (in separate bowl)
(Temper the eggs by pouring some of the warm mixture (about 4 Tbs.) into the egg yolks) 
Pour tempered egg yolks into saucepan
*Cook 2-3 minutes
*Remove from heat
Add:
2 Tbs. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
*When butter is melted add 3/4 to1 C. coconut (or more to taste)
**Pour into pie crust and refigerate until cool.
*Top with whipped cream and more coconut!
(Makes 2 pies)
ENJOY!
~~Kim

No comments: