Thursday, December 16, 2010

The BEST marinara sauce

My sis-in-law served an LDS mission in Italy and she taught me this super simple red sauce that she learned there. It is my go-to for a quick but yummy dinner. I use it with pasta, ravioli, tortellini, chicken Parmesan......I could go on but I'll stop now so you can get to the facts.


This is all it takes folks! Seriously!
If you don't like chunks use 2 cans of pureed tomatoes.
Or if you like bigger chunks just use regular diced tomatoes. I am all about the petite diced ones. I literally buy them by the case!
Oh and that is basil peeking out from the back row. I think it's one of the more shy spices. Heehee. You can also use fresh garlic if you would like, but I am in love with the little jar!!

So you throw it all in the pot!! Aaaaaaand your done.
Ok not quite.
I have no actual measurements I just throw in garlic and basil and grate the Parm over the pot until it all looks good. I do this all first before I get the pasta going. You want it to simmer for as long as possible. The longer the better!!


Here it is. Steaming right out of the pot. YUM!


Sorry it's blurry but I knew you were dying to see my plate of tortellini. Knowing the 'administrator' of this awesome blog she'll have it removed by midnight. Oh well.

I serve this up with a tossed salad and some yummy bread and we are good to go! And my Mr. will just eat the leftovers with a spoon. It's really just that good! Enjoy!

--Nicki

This is Kim adding some measurements for those of you that prefer to know a general amount. :)

1 can of petite diced tomatoes (I puree mine in the blender for no chunks!)
1 can tomato sauce
2-3 crushed garlic cloves
1/4 c. basil (more to taste--I use the dry spice)
1/2 c. grated or powder Parmesan Cheese (more to taste)

1 comment:

Kim said...

Mmmm! I love that marinara, I use it for everything that requires a red sauce! I love it in homemade lasagna! Yum!