Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mexican Crock-Pot

This recipe comes from our fabulous sister-in-law, Tif. I am all about an easy throw-it-all-in-the-crocker-and-go kinda meal, so I was happy to be introduced to this one. I have heard of a few names and variations of it, but here's how I do it. I put this in yesterday around 11:00, and by noon my house already smelled delicious! The other thing I like about it is that it's versatile; you can eat it in a tortilla with cheese, avocado, and sour cream (that's what we do), you can eat it like you would eat taco soup--crunch up some Frito's or tortilla chips on top, or you can eat it over rice. Either way, it is delicious! And the best part is, it makes quite a bit and the leftovers are yummy. I really don't think you can go wrong with this one!
image found here

Ingredients
2 cans corn, drained
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1/2 jar salsa (1-2 cups)
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed

I layer it in the order of the ingredients, but I really don't know that the order matters. Cook on low all day. Mine cooked for about 7 hours. My chicken was frozen, and it turned out perfect. If your chicken wasn't frozen, it would probably take 4-5 hours. Stir everything together, shred your chicken using a fork, and eat it up.
You won't be disappointed. Trust me.



4 comments:

The Peterson Clan... said...

Tried this lastnight and did it burrito style with rice... so yummy! Thanks Guys!!

Nicki said...

I have a recipe that is very similar to this one, but I put in a can of green chiles and a can of jalapenos to give it a little zip. Yummy!!!

Brenda Danner Oswell said...

I made this last night! It makes a TON, you could easily half it. Also, I put some of my homemade cafe rio dressing on top, and it was delicious! Thank you for an easy, cheap, delicious recipe!

kara said...

So this is a favorite of mine. Anything involving a crock pot is an instant winner. But this time around we put it on nachos. They instantly became Deluxe Nachos. Yum.